Hauptstraße 25, 78713 Schramberg
In the warmer seasons, it is a popular destination for excursions: the Roman fort in Waldmössingen. The fort, a fortified and protected military camp built in Roman times, is located on the Schafbühl, about 500 metres northeast of Waldmössingen. It has been known for about 160 years that a Roman settlement once existed there - in 1896, historians were certain that it was a military camp.
During another excavation in 1975, the southern corner tower of the stone enclosure was uncovered to enable a well-founded reconstruction and rebuilding. A permanent exhibition in the fort shows interesting finds from Waldmössingen. The fort in Waldmössingen was built in connection with the construction of a Rhine-Danube road. For military and economic reasons, the intention was to create a faster connection between the Rhine and Danube provinces. Strasbourg was the starting point of the road, which then led through the Kinzig valley to the Brandsteig near Rötenberg and then on via Waldmössingen and Rottweil to Tuttlingen on the Danube.