Kirchplatz 1, 78713 Schramberg
The church tower, originally built as a defence tower, was first mentioned in a document in 1345 and is thus the oldest surviving structure in the city area. In 1435, a church was added to the tower for the first time so that the lowest level of the tower could be used as a chancel. In 1496, the cross vault that still exists today with the Rechberg coat of arms was built in the chancel, the present sacristy. In the course of the centuries, the parish had structural changes made again and again. From 1826 to 1828, the present nave with apse was built. It is the oldest church in the town and the building is a listed building.
The painter Prof. Birkle redesigned the nave in 1932, adding unusually challenging colour accents to the six-metre-high crucifixion group. Like the crucifixion group by Grünewald, this is said to be one of the most important works of its kind. Above the side altars one can see the frescoes "Nativity and Last Supper". All three frescoes were restored between 1989 and 1999 and shine again in their original expressiveness.
When the new St. Laurentius Church was consecrated in 1967, the old St. Laurentius Church on the Kirchplatz was only used as a storeroom. After a thorough restoration of the exterior, committed citizens set up the exhibition of European stained glass and a nativity scene exhibition there between 1980 and 1986.
The exhibition is open to groups on request.